Blog Archive

Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Few Beatitudes On Style

| | 2 comments
Kojo Twumasi T.O.D Editor
So this weekend my friend and I went on a little field trip because I was looking for some gear to put together for the next day. So he helped me out with some footwear. As we were shopping, he gave me a few beatitudes on style.















On the subject of socks

- He first observed that many males either fall back to their solid color white tube socks, black, or gray polo socks,when putting an outfit together. He pleaded with me to divorce myself from that norm.
- In fact he said "You are a styler now, the time for them is never, you can figure out the place on your own."

Therefore...

"Happy are they that reserve their white tube socks and black socks for the gym."


- One thing that I do is that I invert the socks too see whether there are some more interesting designs, be careful with this one though, you don't want to make it look like you actually did it.
- I bought these socks from Express and their inverted design was very appealing.

Therefore...

"Happy are they that add some color to their socks."


- External Tip: Here's a suggestion He learned from the style sage that is pretty interesting: Attempt to match socks with pocket square if you are wearing a blazer.

Gray Levi corduroys = $40
Corduroy can always work, many peers are stuck on blue jeans and cargos, dont be afraid to venture.
Striped Cardigan from urban outfitters $30







...Now on the subject of footwear, He told me...


"Happy are they that invest in a nice pair of lace ups."

- The right shoes will do great justice for an outfit. Put more thought into them instead of picking any random one up from Conway, VIM or Payless.
- Be careful of which shoes you try to piece with a casual outfit. Most Arlo Dress shoes won't work even though they may piece well with slacks.
- Also be cautious with loafers. Some of them have an excessive point that can throw off the whole outfit.
- This one is known as brogue. (I will develop this real quick)
- You can find shoes like these in Aldos. However they may cost a little too much so a store I went to search for some shoes is MJM.

He also left me one more supplementary beatitude...

"Happy are they that buy shirts with sturdy collars."

- Make sure your collar does not sag, it creates a sloppy look to any outfit. Most wide collar shirts are sturdy. Also Investing in collar stays will also keep them sturdy.

- People, Enough with the pancake collars please. =]




Enjoy Elegance




























2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work. Very informative when it comes to information & Excellent photography. Even though I'm a female, I'm always interested in seeing your new posts and the different styles of fashion you guys bring to the blog world for young men.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, It was a simple outfit but truly elegant and I love the pants, for me it was cool. Thank you for sharing this fabulous post.



    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance